Did you see the New Year In?? I stayed awake until 3.15am. For those of you that know me, you will know what an amazing feat this is. I am typically and 8.30 to bed girl and there have been many an occasion where I haven’t even seen 7.30…sad but true
This year I changed my attitude towards NYE. To be honest I have never really been a fan. I have always been more of a ‘it’s just another day” girl. But my adopted motto for 2012 was “if you don’t like it then change it, if you can’t change it then change your attitude towards it”. So I did!!
I decided to look at it as a year with limitless opportunity, plenty of optimism and a chance to start a fresh. Yes, I even made some resolutions: Laugh more, Dance more, stress less and file better. The first 3 are so far going along great guns. I don’t think a day goes by that doesn’t make me laugh ( thanks to my family and crazy friends), When no-one is watching my dancing is rockin. I have begun the stress less journey and have made more time for yoga, stretching and deep breathing…although this is being tested as my boys are still on holidays J The filing resolution- not going so well. Last week I filed something so well that this week I can’t find it…I’m working on it. So in this month’s Newsletter we will look at 5 simple steps to help us not only keep our 2013 resolutions but turn them into successful habits along the way.
If one of your resolutions was to quit smoking then keep reading to find out that your body starts to notice the improvements within just 20 minutes – WOW!!
There are some interesting facts on Sex (ooh maybe I should of lead with that story- lol). We open sesame on the nutrition of the sesame seed and put it out there for discussion what those bags under your eyes really could mean..We generally think lack of sleep, but could it be more than just not enough zzzzz’s at night.
I also introduce you to the gratitude jar and idea which I am loving and enjoying.
Of course we have all the regulars to keep you on your toes too, a joke to make you smile, a recipe packed with nutrition to warm you and quote to make you think.
To ensure that you don't miss out you can either follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/EnrichHealth or
Just like the Enrich Nutrition page and you won't miss any of the exciting updates :-) Just click on the links above and you will go straight there.
So it's time to make a soda water and lemon, sit down, put your feet up and enjoy a read. Let’s make a plan to make 2013 the best year it can be.
In Health & Happiness
Welcome to ‘The Gratitude Jar’
This year I have decided to have a Gratitude Jar. Every time I am grateful for something or something wonderful happens I write it down and put it in the Gratitude Jar.
On New Year’s Eve this year I will open my jar and read all the wonderful things that I experienced. What a Fabulous way to end a year- on a positive happy note. As you can see the jar is filling up nicely and it makes me take a moment to stop and appreciate what I have.
Give it a go xx
Was one of your resolutions this year to quit smoking? Once you stop smoking the improvements are noticeable within 20 minutes….Why wait!! The best day to start is TODAY
Within 20 mins
Reduction in Heart Rate
Reduction in Carbon monoxide levels in blood
Decrease in shortness of breath and coughing
Risk of coronary heart disease is halved compared to a continuing smoker
Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, oesophagus decreases and risk of stroke is dramatically reduced
Risk of lung cancer falls by 50% of a smoker and risk of bladder, kidney and pancreas cancer also decreases
Risk of coronary heart disease and risk of death fall to about the same as someone who has never smoked
How to keep your Resolutions in tact
We stay up till midnight to say good bye to the old year and bring in the New Year. We hug, kiss and make a few resolutions…The top 5 resolutions made each year are
· Spend more time with family and friends
· Lose weight
· Get fit
· Quit smoking
· Enjoy life more…
We are very good at making them but not so good at keeping them!!
Below are a few simple ideas to help you keep your 2013 New Year’s Resolutions
1. Make your goals realistic- it is great to aim high, but a goal needs to also be realistic. Making the resolution of this year I want to look like Elle McPherson isn’t going to work. When a resolution is unrealistic it is too hard to stick to. Being realistic will turn a resolution into a habit and a habit into a way of life.
2. Set and define goals for it. A common resolution is this year I am going to lose weight. That is a very broad resolution and one which can easily fall by the wayside if we don’t have a plan.
· I am going to join a group session or gym
· I am going to follow a healthy eating plan for 4 weeks to see how I go
· I am going to buy myself a new piece of gym gear every time I lose 5kg.
· I am going to enlist the help of a friend to ensure I stay on track
3. Set yourself a time frame. I want to find a new job direction within the next 6 months. I want to get healthier, stronger and fitter in the next 6 months. Mark dates in your diary and work towards your goal. Life is a journey not a destination and successful resolutions are the same.
4. Set yourself a schedule: I am going to train 4 days a week. Write it down in your daily plan. If it’s written it is more likely to be done. I am going to only have 1 treat a week- write it down. I am going to go back to study 1 day a week to learn a new skill. Break the goal into smaller tasks and the job won’t seem as big.
5. Don’t let a setback set you back. All journeys have detours, bumps, hills, ditches and sometimes end in a no through road but don’t allow it to stop you from achieving your resolution. Setbacks are part of our journey and are opportunities in disguise, so step over it, go around it or smash right through it…
6. Get yourself a team- support people whether they are friends, family or professionals can help keep you on track. You can learn from them, lean on them, vent to them, share with them and teach them…Your support crew will be there for you when you don’t think you can do it alone or when you have had a bad day or when you lose track of the big picture- Now Hiring!!
Resolutions are a great way to start a new year- clean slate, fresh plans, endless optimism and opportunity. If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail -
Life is like a roller coaster; fast, bumpy, lots of corners, plenty of highs and just as many lows- so jump on board, hold on tight and enjoy the ride.
6 INTERESTING FACTS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT SEX
1. Sex makes you happier than money does
2. Regular sex tightens your abs & firms your bum
3. It can improve your flexibility
4. Research has shown it can improve your sense of taste
5. It can increase your wardrobe of nice underwear…
6. 30 minutes of exciting sex can burn approximately 840 Kj
(Women’s health magazine)
OPEN SESAME- Did you know the tiny sesame seed is full of nutrition??
It is high copper- which can help protect against rheumatoid arthritis
It is high in magnesium- which promotes vascular and respiratory health, improves heart function and is a muscle relaxant, calms the nervous system and helps reduce PMS
It also contains calcium which is important for reducing the risk of osteoporosis. Sprinkle some on your meal today J
It’s all in the eyes
Bags and puffiness under the eyes could be telling you that sugar and refined carbohydrates are causing a problem in your diet.
Decrease the amount of sugar (including fruit juice)
Decrease the amount of refined flour products such as bread, cake, biscuits, pasta and pastries
Increase your intake of fresh fruit and vegetables and water and send those bags packing!!!!!
(Dr Mitra Ray)
“In any situation, the best thing you can do is the right thing; the next best thing you can do is the wrong thing; the worst thing you can do is nothing.” – Theodore Roosevelt